<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 6, 2006

Where Do You Go When You've Already Been To The Top?
Finally - Finally! - an update on my younger sister's favourite former member of the Backstreet Boys, Kevin "No really, I'm not from the Ozarks, I swear" Richardson. In fact, the Toronto Star touts it as an exclusive (1).

Apparently our boy Kev is coming to Toronto... to perform in Chicago.

"... he'll appear in the gala celebration on Nov. 14 marking the 10th anniversary of the show on Broadway, sharing the spotlight with the likes of Bebe Neuwirth, Ann Reinking, Melanie Griffiths, Ashlee Simpson and Brooke Shields.

"It's an honour just to be onstage with those people," said Richardson over the phone from his home just outside of Lexington, Ky. "I look at that lineup and say, `Kevin, what did you ever do to wind up rubbing elbows with stars like that?'"


Stars like that indeed. Brian Littrell (2) wishes he could be sharing the spotlight with a former sitcom star, a former theatre star, a former movie star, a former pop star and a former model.

On June 23, he announced he was leaving the group, "in order to move on with the next chapter of my life." He only issued a brief statement then kept quiet during the subsequent keening from his devoted followers.

So why did he do it?

There's a long pause at the end of the line, so long in fact, it almost seems the phone has gone dead. Then he answers.

"I was at a point in my life when I wanted to examine some of the other things that go into making up Kevin Richardson. You see, I'm not like a lot of other people in show business. I'm not what you'd call a multi-tasker. When I commit myself to something, I commit 100 per cent and that's what I did when I was a Backstreet Boy."


Referring to yourself in the third-person? Check. Serious discussion of giving it 100%? Check. If Kevin can dribble a basketball in the least, he's ready for the NBA.

Anyway. Let's be serious for a moment because this is serious. Very serious. This isn't about some former boy band singer turning to theatre to make the mortgage payments. No. This is about tackling the greatest threat to humanity in the early 21st century... Namely, flashiness.

"I think we can get too much flash in our lives," he laments. "You find it everywhere nowadays; it's not just in show business, it's on Wall Street, it's in Washington. It can overshadow talent."

True. So very true.

----------
(1) That management shuffle was obviously totally worth it.
(2) I spelled this correctly without having to look it up. Just so you know.

Labels: , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com