<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Get Ready To Blame Marilyn Manson Again
If this really is the website of the alleged gunman in yesterday's shooting spree at Dawson College (and The Star is apparently willing to make that wager), his listening over the last week included Megadeth, Subway to Sally, Soul Asylum, Marilyn Manson, Lacuna Coil, Crematory, Mudvayne, Alice Cooper and Judas Priest.

I'm not sure if I'm pointing this out because it's actually relevant or because in the next few days it's probably going to be made to seem relevant.

1:08pm EST... The site has predictably been taken down, but there's a decent overview here. As I recall, the song he was listening to yesterday when he last posted a couple hours before the shooting was Megadeth's A Tout Le Monde. The lyrics to which go like so:

Don't remember where I was
I realized life was a game
The more seriously I took things
The harder the rules became
I had no idea what it'd cost
My life passed before my eyes
I found out how little I accomplished
All my plans denied

So as you read this know my friends
I'd love to stay with you all
Please smile when you think of me
My body's gone that's all

A tout le monde (To all the world)
A tous mes amis (To all my friends)
Je vous aime (I love you)
Je dois partir (I have to leave)
These are the last words
I'll ever speak
And they'll set me free

If my heart was still alive
I know it would surely break
And my memories left with you
There's nothing more to say

Moving on is a simple thing
What it leaves behind is hard
You know the sleeping feel no more pain
And the living are scarred


The music video is here.

2:11pm EST... Dave Mustaine explains the song's intended meaning.

"It's not a suicide song. What it is, it's, you, it's when people have a loved one that dies and they end on a bad note, you know, they wish that they could say something to them. So this is an opportunity for the deceased to say something before they go. And it was my impression of what I would like to say to people, if I had say, 3 seconds to do so in life before I died I'd say to the entire world, to all my friends, I love you all, and now I must go. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free. I don't need to say I'm sorry, I don't have to say I'm going to miss you, or I'll wait for ya. You know, I'll just say I loved you all, good, bad and different, I loved you all."

6:16pm EST... Reuters name drops Marilyn Manson.

The Goth sub-culture is often characterized by black clothing, pale makeup and body piercing. Many of the users write about being alienated from society, and while musical tastes vary, shock rockers such as Marilyn Manson are popular.

As does CP.

Gills list of favourite music groups is a who's who of heavy metal: Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, Iron Maiden, Danzig and Metallica, but only the "old stuff."

But they've got nothing on AP, who nicely use Marilyn to link Dawson College with Columbine.

He also maintained an online blog, similar to Klebold and Harris, devoted to Goth culture, heavy metal music such as Marilyn Manson, guns and journal entries expressing hatred against authority figures and "society.''

I guess it's probably time to point out that Klebold and Harris didn't actually like Marilyn Manson.

(Though Marilyn did feel moved to defend himself.)

8:47pm EST... Three cheers for the Saskatchewan education system and the death of fact-checking.

After the Columbine killings, national debates raged over what role pop culture played in the shootings.

"Let's just hope that there's not a big media outpour against video games and music," said Park, remembering the uproar in '99 over violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto, graphic television programs and movies, and singers such as rocker Manson, who the two Columbine killers listened to.


8:58pm EST... Wikipedia covers the misconception here. And, for the sake of discussion, here is Dave Cullen's Columbine Navigator.

10:04pm EST... An older version of Kimveer Gill's page is available here and his journal is here (and the comment thread for his last post is actually, in between the usual nonsense, a pretty interesting read).

10:17om EST... Megadeth is actually slated to play the Bell Centre in Montreal on Sept. 27. (And we all know how well it went when Marilyn Manson - WHO KLEBOLD AND HARRIS DIDN"T ACTUALLY LISTEN TO - tried to come even close to Littleton.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com