<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Because I Know Better Than You
Ahem.

"Welcome to the inaugural Polaris Music Prize. And thanks for agreeing to be a part of this historic undertaking.

"Polaris is Canada's first juried award for creative artistic achievement in recorded music. This fall, it will award a $20,000 prize for the Canadian Album Of The Year. It will also honour 10 nominees, which will be promoted and marketed on a Polaris CD compilation...
"

Yadda yadda.

"Album must have a release date between June 1, 2005 and May 30, 2006. Albums are defined as containing at least eight tracks (not 8-tracks!) or 30 minutes of music... A Canadian artist is defined as a citizen of Canada and applies to the artist only."

Blah blah.

"List your 5 favourite Canadian albums, in order, with (1) being the best and (5) being the fifth best. THERE ARE NO JUDGING CRITERIA OTHER THAN YOUR OWN IMPECCABLE TASTE..."

All right. Well. In the interests of unrequested disclosure, my impeccable taste says that between June 1, 2005 and May 30, 2006, there wasn't a better Canadian record than this one. Though I never got around to listening to Theory of a Deadman's record, so I can't speak with complete certainty.

That leaves me to settle on the other four. Right now I'd say thepossibilitiess, pending release dates, include Amy Millan, Jason Collett, the Diableros, Cuff the Duke, Ladies and Gentlemen and probably City and Colour.

You think I'm joking about that last one, but I'm not. Save Your Scissors is just short of genius. It almost makes me wish I was 14 again. Almost.

Anyway. If you wanted to wager on the outcome of this adventure in democracy spreading, I'd self-servingly point you towards this.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com