<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Excuse me Mr. Bouncer, but if you don't mind, could you please remove your hand from my boob? Kay? Thanks.
Two things about this video for Oasis' Let There Be Love: 1) We're claiming it as the new theme song for this blog. 2) It's a fantastic video, but how does Oasis possibly do anything after this? It's essentially the perfect farewell video for that band - a love letter to rock n roll, Manchester, music fans and, well, love. It's damn near beautiful. Actually, if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a little emotional right now... something in my eye...

Ahem.

It also seems a fitting end to 2005. It was altogether a pretty messed up year, no? Could have probably used a few more overly earnest British rock bands singing overly earnest odes to completely uncynical notions of love. So here's to 2006 being a little more like an Oasis song. Only not quite as long as All Around The World.

But before we call it an a calendar, a few honours...

Man of the Year: Kanye West. I saw it with my own two eyes and heard it with my own two ears and I still don't entirely believe he went on national television during a period of profound crisis and said the president doesn't care about black people. He's pretty much untouchable from here on in.

Woman of the Year: Oprah/Kelly Clarkson (tie) I didn't think anybody could ever challenge Oprah's 20-year hold on this award. Then I heard Since U Been Gone. Unfortunately, then I also heard Because of You. So I'll call it even.

Band We Won't Remember This Time Next Year: Bedouin Soundclash. I don't dislike them. It's just that if there was the equivalent of a metal detector wand for sussing out one-hit wonders it would be beeping uncontrollably around these guys.

Best Band We Haven't Actually Heard Yet: The National.

Craziest Makeover: Avril Lavigne

Best First Name: Sufjan.

Best Broken Social Scene Song You Didn't Listen To Enough: All My Friends

And Our Baseless Canadian Election Prediction: Conservatives 120, Liberals 106, NDP 24, Bloc 57, Independent 1

And with that... have a fine evening kids. See you in 2006.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com